Sex toys and lube: They go together like peanut butter and jelly, chips and guac, or milk and cookies. This fearsome twosome can make sexual encounters whether solo, partnered, or “it’s complicated” more pleasurable. Dare we say, this dynamic duo offers Out of this World Pleasure?!
You: You’re a sex toy aficionado who looks as their sexcessory line-up and chooses which one they feel like that day. Wand Wednesday’s or Fleshlight Friday’ anyone?. Or, maybe you’re just starting to dabble. Either way, there are some things you need to know.
ASTROGLIDE’s resident sexologist, Dr. Jess O’Reilly says, “Sex toy use is associated with a range of benefits including increased sexual functioning and sexual pleasure. Those who use sexual accouterments, such as sex toys and lube, report higher sexual functioning and greater sexual satisfaction.”
Dr. Jess also shared these four tips to keep in mind when it comes to using lube with your sex toys:
- When it comes to lube and sex toys, not all lube is created equally.
- Apply lube directly to the toy, your body, or both and feel free to get creative with the application — it can be half the fun!
- Use a little or a lot depending on whether your toy vibes externally (perhaps use a little less lube) or internally (add a little more)
- When finished, clean your toy with soap and water
Now that we have the four considerations when it comes to lube and sex toys, let’s dig a little bit deeper into truly what the best lube is and isn’t for sex toys and why.
What You Need to Know About Silicone Lube and Sex Toys
Silicone lubricant has a very unique, silky feel that is soothing to the skin and leaves it feeling soft and smooth. Silicone is also hypoallergenic, so it’s a great choice for lube users with sensitive skin or allergies. And, since these lubes contain mostly silicone instead of water, they often last longer and need to be reapplied less often.
ASTROGLIDE’s resident OB-GYN, Dr. Anglea Jones shared more insight, “Silicone-based lubes are super slick and extremely long-lasting, making them a great choice for water play. People with sensitive skin may also reach for this type because silicone is hypoallergenic and the silky texture leaves skin feeling soft and smooth. Some silicone-based lubes are latex safe and can be used with toys. However, they should never be used with toys made from silicone. I recommend ASTROGLIDE X Silicone Gel because it is long-lasting and contains a high-quality silicone blend.”
Silicone-based lubricants are generally a no-no when it comes to using with toys made of specifically of silicone. That’s because the materials react with one another and may cause the surface of the sex toy to break down over time. Silicone-based lubes, however, are safe to use with toys made of hard materials such as plastic, aluminum, ceramic, steel, glass, marble, etc.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Keep silicone lubes away from silicone sex toys
What You Need to Know About Water-Based Lubricants and Toys
Water-based lubricants are by far the most common type of lube and for good reason. Because they’re water-based, they’re easy to clean up (and to wash out of clothing or sheets). And of course, since pure water is about the most natural ingredient out there, these lubes can also be used with most sex toys.
Lucky for you all, ASTROGLIDE offers several water-based lubricants, including its newest product TOY ‘n JOY. Not only is ASTROGLIDE’s TOY ‘n JOY personal lubricant gentle on intimate areas, but it’s also condom compatible, hypoallergenic, and both glycerin and paraben-free. Its versatile formula offers an ideal combination of smooth and slippery, making it perfect for all types of play including toy, solo, partner, anal, penile, vaginal, and beyond. In fact, this personal lubricant was specifically tested to be safe on most sex toy materials and surfaces, including silicone sex toys, rubber sex toys, plastic sex toys, glass sex toys, and stainless steel sex toys.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Water-based lubes are compatible with the largest variety of sex toy materials.
What You Need to Know About Hybrid Lubes and Sex Toys
With a hybrid lube, you get to enjoy the natural feeling of water-based lubes while also getting the benefits of a longer-lasting silicone formula.
At ASTROGLIDE we’re all about convenience, so we don’t think there’s a need to have one kind of lube for in the bedroom and another for water play: enter hybrid lube formulas that can pull double duty. Just remember that, like any lube that contains silicone, a hybrid lube can put some serious wear and tear on your silicone toys, so avoid using them together.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Keep hybrid lubes containing silicone away from those silicone toys.
What You Need to Know About Oil-Based Lubes and Sex Toys
If you’re looking for a lube that is seriously long-lasting with a luxurious silky feel, oil-based lube can be a great option.
Plus, oil-based lubes can serve double duty as both a personal lubricant and massage oil. Some people find that they prefer the sensation of an oil and oil-based lube over water or silicone lubricant options.
Of course, there are a few things to keep in mind if you’re thinking about using an oil-based lube:
The first is that oil-based lubricants aren’t safe to use with latex condoms. They can make the latex porous, or even cause it to rip and tear. This means that oil-based types of lubricants are better for those who do not need to use condoms. Another thing to consider is that oil-based lubes can also be hard to clean off of toys and skin, so be prepared to do some extra clean-up afterward.
KEY TAKEAWAY: Oil-based lubricants can serve multiple purposes, but can be hard to clean off sex toys so get ready to put in some additional elbow grease post-use.
There are a plethora of different types of sex toys, so now that you know what lube to use with what toys lets explore some of the toy options.
- Fun Factory Cobra Libre II: According to Heavy.com, this toy is designed for glans stimulation. Simply plop the head of the penis inside the opening, then play around with the settings until you find something that works for you.
- Best Lube to Use: Since it’s lined with soft, velvety silicone a water-based lubricant is the way to go.
- Starsi External Vibrator: This is one cute vibrator that looks nothing like what you’d expect (it’s shaped like a starfish, hence the name). According to Cosmopolitan.com, This ergonomically shaped starfish toy rests perfectly in the palm of your hand with tips extending out to hug your clitoris. The toy is silicone, waterproof, and rechargeable. The unique shape also means each tip has different vibration intensities, so you can position the specific point according to what feels best for you.
- Best Lube to Use: A water-based option, like ASTROGLIDE TOY ‘n JOY, as it’s made of silicone.
- Fleshlight: This go-to male-focused sex toy is an OG. It offers smooth sleeves designed for those who are more sensitive or want to make their sessions last longer and improve male performance. Plus, it comes with a case for discretion.
- Best Lube to Use: While the exact makeup of the Fleshlight is a bit secretive and protected by a bunch of patents, their website suggests using a water-based lube.
- Best Lube to Use: A silicone or water-based lubricant will pair well with this option.
At the end of the day, no matter if you use sex toys regularly, have never used them, or are just getting started, it’s all about how they make you feel and doing what’s best for your body. We know trying something new can be overwhelming with so many options out there, but it can also be amazing! And, we can almost guarantee you won’t’ regret pairing your favorite lube with a sex toy….after all, they just might become your new best friends.