July 16, 2021 by Justin Lehmiller
People’s interest in polyamory is growing. For example, Google trends reveal that searches related to polyamory have risen significantly over the last decade. However, while interest is climbing, myths and misconceptions abound, which is why this episode of the Sex and Psychology Podcast offers a deep dive into the world of polyamory.
I interviewed Dr. Heath Schechinger. He is a Counseling Psychologist at the University of California Berkeley and also maintains a private practice. Heath is the Founding Co-Chair of the Committee on Consensual Non-Monogamy within Division 44 of the American Psychological Association, and he is the Co-Founder of the Polyamory Legal Advocacy Coalition.
Some of the topics we explore in this episode include:
- Who’s into polyamory and what are the different “shapes” that a polyamorous relationship might take?
- What is “solo polyamory” and how does it work?
- What are the unique benefits of consensual non-monogamy? What are the unique benefits of monogamy?
- If you’re polyamorous and seeking relationship counseling, how do you go about finding an affirming therapist?
- What are the most common issues that come up in sex and relationship therapy with polyamorous clients?
- If you’re curious about exploring polyamory, what do you need to know? If you’re polyamorous, what do you need to know about maintaining healthy relationships?
- What’s the future of polyamory and consensual non-monogamy? Will we eventually have legal recognition of multi-partner relationships?
To learn more about Heath and his work, visit his websites at drheathschechinger.com and polyamorylegal.org
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Listen and stream all episodes on Apple, Spotify, Google, or Amazon. Subscribe to automatically receive new episodes and please rate and review the podcast!
Credits: LEGIT Audio (Podcast editing) and Shutterstock/Florian (Music). Image created with Canva; photos used with permission of guest.
Dr. Justin Lehmiller
Founder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.