From penis enlargement to vaginal rejuvenation, modern medicine is offering those who are concerned with their genital appearance the opportunity to obtain “designer genitals.” In recent years, there has been an explosion in the number of people seeking genital augmentation surgery, as well as a growing number of procedures to choose from that promise to boost self-confidence and sexual desirability. But do all of these procedures really work as promised? Are they even safe? And is genital surgery really what we need, or do we just need better sex ed to help us appreciate our bodies?
To discuss the growing world of genital enhancement, I am joined by Dr. Rachel Rubin, a board-certified urologist and sexual medicine specialist. She is an assistant clinical professor of urology at Georgetown University and works in a private practice in the Washington DC region. Some of the topics we explore in this episode include:
- What kind of genital enhancements are people looking for today and why?
- Do procedures designed to increase penis size really work, and what are the risks?
- How is Botox being used to enhance genital appearance and function?
- What kind of procedures are people seeking to enhance their vulvas and vaginas? Do they work, and are they safe?
- What does the growing trend of genital augmentation say about our culture and our sexuality?
- Could better sex education help people to grow more comfortable and confident in their bodies without the need for medical intervention?
To learn more about Dr. Rubin, visit rachelrubinmd.com and follow her on social media @DrRachelRubin
This podcast was made on Zencastr. Join Zencastr today and receive 40% off of their professional plan for 3 months with my exclusive discount code: sexandpsych
Thanks to Promescent (promescent.com) and the Modern Sex Therapy Institutes (modernsextherapyinstitutes.com) for sponsoring this episode!