May 13, 2021 by Justin Lehmiller
Sex is a topic that is all too often neglected in the doctor’s office. That’s unfortunate because our health affects our sex lives and, at the same time, our sex lives affect our health. We need to open the lines of sexual communication in medical settings so that we can help people to lead happier, healthier lives both in and out of the bedroom.
For this episode of the Sex and Psychology Podcast, I spoke with Dr. Michael Moreno. Dr Moreno is a family medicine physician of nearly 25 years. He is author of the New York Times Best-Selling 17 Day Diet book series and host of the Podcast WELLNESS INC. His work focuses on encouraging and sustaining positive lifestyle change.
This episode offers a physician’s perspective on sex. Some of the topics we cover include:
- What is the role of a healthy lifestyle in having a good sex life?
- Why do we need to stop looking for a pill to fix every sexual problem?
- How much training do physicians actually get in sexual medicine?
- How can we make medical offices a more comfortable environment for discussing sex for doctors and patients alike?
- What are the most common sexual health issues that come up in the doctor’s office?
- Why are so many young men today reporting erectile difficulties to their doctors?
- How often are sexual problems based in skewed perceptions of what’s “normal” when it comes to sex?
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit to receive updates. You can also follow Dr. Lehmiller on YouTube and Instagram.
Credits: LEGIT Audio (Podcast editing) and Shutterstock/Florian (Music). Image created with Canva; photos used with permission of guest.
Dr. Justin Lehmiller
Founder & Owner of Sex and Psychology
Dr. Justin Lehmiller is a social psychologist and Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute. He runs the Sex and Psychology blog and podcast and is author of the popular book Tell Me What You Want. Dr. Lehmiller is an award-winning educator, and a prolific researcher who has published more than 50 academic works.